Thursday

1924: America's First Lady of Food

As I was curled up anxiously engaged in my new reading material, a quote on page 16 grabbed my attention creating one of those "AH HA!" moments. The quote had to do with America's First Lady of Food, Ms. Betty Crocker. She gave, " new ideas to old cooks, and old ideas to new cooks." I am a firm believer in the concept of history repeating itself. As I consider myself a "new cook," I consistently find myself interested in old classic ideas. Well put Betty!

While we're on the subject...Betty Crocker was not one of the women pictured above. That's because she never really existed! It was the idea of her, that prompted Fortune magazine to name this happy homemaker the second best known woman in the entire United States — right behind Eleanor Roosevelt. Not bad for someone who never really existed.

Betty secured her place in history through the radio. She began local radio programs in 1924, followed by national networks 2 years later and continued to feed homemakers advice for 3 more decades. "Betty" was actually a team of home economists employed by the Washburn Crosby Flour Company. (the creator of the domestic goddess) Although she was impersonated by various actresses, her mission was always the same to salute those fine homemakers of America telling them "how to buy, what to buy, and how to make the best with what was available," according to the Chicago Daily Tribune.
(source)
In honor of Betty, I whipped out my very cherished 1st edition Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook and decided that a classic corn bread recipe was in order. I feel like this is very Julie & Julia of me and will channel my inner Julie Powell tonight. Results tomorrow. (hopefully)
..............................................................................................................................................................
RESULTS
While Betty's Southern Cornbread recipe didn't knock my socks off, it wasn't bad. (especially when smeared with honey butter) I think this calls for a recipe revamp. I knew that there wasn't nearly enough butter or sugar in her recipe. I'll post a perfected cornbread recipe when I nail it down.
..............................................................................................................................................................

p.s. If you would like to learn more about Betty, look into purchasing this little gem.

No comments: