Tuesday

1930: Philly Cheesesteak

To celebrate Summer as it comes to a close, Robby and I have been making every possible sandwich combination known to man. I think sandwiches are excellent summer fare. (especially when paired with corn on the cob and watermelon) I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and tap into a bit of food history while I was making our homemade Philly Cheese Steaks last night. Robby would consider this a "man" sandwich...and for good reason.
..............................................................................................................................................................
Leave it to "The City of Brotherly Love" to master the cheese steak. "Most agree the birth of Philly's cheese steak took place at Pat's King of Steaks in the Italian immigrant section of South Philadelphia in 1930. There, Pat Olivieri plied his trade by selling hot dogs and sandwiches until he thought of something else: thinly sliced beef dripping with melted cheese in a bed of sautéed Spanish onions." source
..............................................................................................................................................................
It seems as though the cheese steak has been morphed just a bit over the years with the popularity of adding sauteed sweet and red peppers, mushrooms, & most recently Cheese Whiz. While I followed suit with the sauteed peppers and the traditional thinly sliced rib-eye steak cooked in its own fat, I couldn't take the plunge with the Cheese Whiz. My only recipe revamp on this classic would be the cheese. Instead of mozzarella or provolone, I went with a sharp white cheddar that was divine. I knew it was a good choice when Robby's first words were, "what is this delicious cheese?!"

No comments: